Sunday, October 24, 2010

Interview: Jay Taylor - The Generalissimo: Chiang Kai-Shek

The Generalissimo: Chiang Kai-shek and the Struggle for Modern China by Jay Taylor

I have heard a lot of good things about this book. Arthur Waldron when reviewing The Generalissimo wrote: "Now at last we have a good biography of Chiang Kai-shek, one of the most important figures in modern China, but also one of the least understood and most regularly caricatured." Waldron continues saying "Taylor’s book is a magnificent achievement" and "very good reading." I have this book on my bookshelf. I bought it over the summer. I have paged through it a bit and seem to prefer it to Jonathan Fenby's earlier account Chiang Kai Shek: China's Generalissimo and the Nation He Lost. No doubt Chiang Kai-shek is a significant historical 20th century figure. I am looking forward to reading Taylor's account. In the meantime, I found an interview with Jay Taylor, the author of The Generalissimo. You can watch the interview below and it is posted on YouTube.

Buy from Amazon @ The Generalissimo: Chiang Kai-shek and the Struggle for Modern China (Belknap Press)

No comments:

Post a Comment