Thursday, October 28, 2010

Speech: Cycling Home from Siberia by Rob Lilwall

Cycling Home from Siberia by Rob Lilwall (Lilwall's site)

I was recently in a small bookstore in the Landmark Center in Hong Kong waiting for Queenie and I saw this book quite by accident. We needed to rush off for another appointment but that night, in the hotel, I thought a lot about the book. The next day I went back and bought it and I am REALLY looking forward to reading it. I am sure it will be in the tradition of great travel books like Who Needs a Road and The Great Railway Bazaar. When I saw this book I immediately thought of my friends Simon and Helen who went for a very long cycling journey accross America and Europe way back in 2002. This book I am sure truly encapsulates the spirit of adventure and seems to embody a naive and honest belief in the goodness of people. I am really happy I went back to buy the book.

On this book the Guardian writes:

The man starts with a confession: he's a Christian - and later confirms he prefers to stay with priests or nuns. I almost gave up there, but the honesty makes for compulsive reading: he farts on Russian live radio and gets the giggles, he camps in disabled toilets in Japan - and observes that they are cleaner and more comfortable than Russian hotels. When he is mugged at gunpoint, he has violent revenge fantasies, then feels guilty and prays for his attackers.

His disarming, open-faced bravura gets better and better as the book progresses. In Papua New Guinea, a place he decides to cycle around, he is chased by drunken men brandishing cudgels. Afterwards he wonders if perhaps he had pre-judged them and they were only being friendly.

The speech is pretty funny and he is very engaging. Its on the lighter side and this might be the next book I read. My wife is reading it now. Enjoy!

Buy from Amazon @ Cycling Home from Siberia: 30,000 miles, 3 years, 1 bicycle

2 comments:

  1. When the kids are a bit older, I think there is a good argument for us doing a crazy bit of travelling somewhere in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am up for it anytime - My Uncle has invited me to trek in Nepal with him next year for 3 weeks - I think, if I can get the time off I will go - should be an amazing journey - sadly, my cycling journey's have not been as ambitious as Mr. Lilwells.

    ReplyDelete